I wanted to say Van F#$@*&* Halen in the title but I don’t think the search engines would have liked it.
Yes, I saw Van Halen. No, not Van Hagar, VAN HALEN. In fact, it was more Van Halen than has ever been in history: Instead of Michael Anthony on bass Eddie’s 16-year old son, Wolfgang Van Halen, rocked the house. So that’s 3 Van Halens and David Lee Roth. Historical!
I’m not going to rehash an entire concert review – you can read that in The Seattle Times. But a few observations:
- They played for over 2 hours and played everything you wanted them to play. Very cool
- David Lee Roth has a few marbles missing but it doesn’t matter, it fits his persona and he can still sing. Halfway through the first verse of "Panama" he forgot the words and said, "Follow me to the chorus! Quickly!" which was pretty funny
- Dave told a funny story about smoking pot with his friends when he was young (complete with details about the seeds rolling down a Pink Floyd album into a giant jar and a black light Jimi Hendrix poster) and the ice cream truck they chilled their beer in. Then he played "Ice Cream Man" complete with an acoustic intro which proved he is a surprisingly good guitar player in his own right
- Eddie and Dave, both over 50, were shirtless and showed off their six pack stomachs. Poor Wolf was the pudgy one on stage.
- Eddie was so happy to be playing with his son – it was really nice to watch. At one point they were on their knees playing to each other and Eddie leaned over and kissed Wolf on the head.
- Wolf was pretty damn good – it was really exciting when he was up on the risers and had the spotlight on him as he started "Running with the Devil". What a trip it must be to practice with your dad (and uncle Alex), who just happens to be one of the best guitarists of all time.
- It was strange that they had a keyboardist backstage playing "Jump" and "Little Dreamer" – it felt awkward
- Van Halen is the only band I can think of that made such a successful transition from pre to post MTV. Gave them mainstream popularity with the cred to back it up.
David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen on stage together. I still can’t believe it! Glad I was a witness.
1. You Really Got Me
2. I’m The One
3. Runnin’ With the Devil
4. Romeo Delight (with Magic Bus by The Who interlude)
5. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
6. Beautiful Girls
7. Dance the Night Away
8. Atomic Punk
9. Everybody Wants Some
10. So this is Love?
11. Mean Street
12. Pretty Woman
13. Drum solo
15. I’ll Wait
16. And The Cradle Will Rock
17. Hot For Teacher
18. Little Dreamer
19. Little Guitars
20. Jamie’s Cryin’
21. Ice Cream Man
23. Guitar solo
24. Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love